Called to Serve

I'm Alicia Garver, and I'm a Mormon. I'm currently serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission. I love what I'm doing, and I'm excited to be sharing His message and His love with the people in Georgia.

Come for a ride with me as I share my experiences...by bicycle and walking shoes!

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

1/12/15 Train Museum

I know. Four months is not much to brag about but it still makes me happy. So you can all pretend to be happy for me. Yay!

This week has been both amazing and frustrating. Amazing because we are now teaching two new families, both referrals from members in the ward, and they are both so open and receptive to us and the gospel. We always ask for referrals, but members are not so great at giving them. I wasn't either, so I can't really talk. But now, as a missionary it seems to easy that I don't know what I was scared of. Inviting someone to FHE or church, saying prayers and reading scriptures before sleeping at a sleepover, or even just talking about gospel topics with friends. Seriously, all girls talk about boys and what they want their husbands and weddings to be like. How hard would it be to slip in eternal families, temples or return missionaries? I don't know what boys talk about, but I'm sure you can figure something out. Anywho, what we've found with investigators, is that those who have been referred from members are so much stronger and grow so much faster than ones we find by ourselves. They have a friend-base to build on. They have someone they can sit next to, ask questions, and look to as an example. They already know quite a bit just by living around them and watching them. No pressure or anything.

We get to go to the temple this Saturday! Ryan and Esmeralda get to go through the temple for the first time and we get to go with them! We're getting together with them later today and going over Family Search so they can both take a name or two with them. I really hope this will be a spiritual experience for them and that they become the influence that their families need to bring them to Christ. That has been the frustrating part. We have two investigators that have been taught all the lessons and have a testimony, but just don't want to make the commitment. They are stuck, and there's not much more we can do. But we love them too much to just give up, because they do have that testimony. Well, the Lord can do what we can't.

Oh, right. So there's not much in Kennesaw, but there is a train museum. Hold in your excitement please, I know, I know. But it actually was pretty interesting, and we got to watch a movie about The Great Train Chase because it's historical. I admit I was too Northern to really enjoy the Southern victory and annoyed some people by my opinions, but it was fun. Hilarious, actually. The acting was terrible. But the gift shop was fun :)





Love you all! I'll be emailing on Tuesday because Monday is Martin Luther King Day.
Sister Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment