Called to Serve

I'm Alicia Garver, and I'm a Mormon. I'm currently serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission. I love what I'm doing, and I'm excited to be sharing His message and His love with the people in Georgia.

Come for a ride with me as I share my experiences...by bicycle and walking shoes!

Friday, October 24, 2014

10/20/14 Halloween has hit!

Oh. My. Goodness. But do people go crazy over Halloween. Every house has a wreath. Every house has cobwebs (some fake and some real :P) Every other house has lights. Every street has at least one house completely decked out with giant spiders, inflatables, lights, cobwebs, caution tape, skeletons, pumpkins, the works. It's a bit insane and a bit extremely awesome. I'm loving it! I admit we always aim for the fun houses to tract act :) Sister Stout says everyone goes all out because it won't snow, and the coldest it'll get in December is maybe 40? Too bad on Halloween we have to be home by 5. But I guess it makes sense.

Fall has come as well. The leaves and starting to change and everywhere we go, we crunch through leaves. And there are so many acorns! Seriously. At times it almost seems like it's hailing acorns. I have been counting my blessings because I have not yet been hit, but I've had some close calls, and it scares me every time. They sound painful. The mornings are always super cold, but it warms up during the day. Sometimes warm enough to go in short sleeves,  but I always keep a jacket in the car. But the weather really has been nice. Just not in the mornings. I would die without leggings and boots. I don't know what I would do in a place like Russia, having to deal with snow and freezing temperatures in a skirt.

We have a baptism this week! The missionaries have been working with him for over a year and he's been wanting to be baptized for months, but he's a minor and his dad wouldn't let him. But he finally gave permission! I admit I did a little bit of a happy dance :) Our other family that we've been working with for a while, we set tentative dates, but hope to solidify those tomorrow as well. The family, especially the kids, are so amazing. They love the church and are just eating up the lessons. They come to activities and are reading the Book of Mormon, and making friends. They are so excited about everything, and they love us as well. It really melts your heart to have a bunch of kids race up to you yelling, and giving hugs. And oh my goodness, when an 8 year old gives you a hug around the knees and holds your hand as you introduce them to new friends. I LOVE that family! I wish all of you could meet them too! I just wish we could help them mom keep her commitments...

I love you all so much and love hearing from you!
Sister Garver

PS I forgot to mention, I'm officially a month old now! But everyone thinks I'm much older. I had one elder ask me if I'm going home soon! It makes me happy that I don't look like a greenie :)

1 comment:

  1. Sheri... I just love this! I feel like I can hear the happiness and excitement in her voice as I read... what a treasure these letters are!

    ReplyDelete