Called to Serve

I'm Alicia Garver, and I'm a Mormon. I'm currently serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission. I love what I'm doing, and I'm excited to be sharing His message and His love with the people in Georgia.

Come for a ride with me as I share my experiences...by bicycle and walking shoes!

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

9/29/14 Barbeque and Fried Pickles

It's hard to believe I've only been here for 2 weeks! It feels like I've been here forever! I already have a bunch of odd tracting stories and strange lessons stories, have eaten food I never would have normally (but still tasted good) and seen so many little miracles. This week summed up: Jehovah Witnesses, youth ministers, the creation and dinosaurs, being asked about Kolob (or Kolenbob as he pronounced it), fried pickles, lots of barbeque, the General Woman's Broadcast, and a less active finally coming to church after years of inactivity.

Sister Stout and I met a ton of potential investigators this past week! So many people seemed interested and were willing to have us back and we had so many lessons lined up, so I was really excited for this week. Then it seemed like every appointment fell through, and those we did have didn't progress very well (with concerns like dinosaurs, Kolob, blacks and the priesthood, science vs religion). I was so pumped for Sunday because 5 investigators and 2 less actives had said they would come to church. Guess what? No investigators showed. So its been a bit of a downer this week. But Saturday, we really prayed about it before we started tracting, and then it seemed that every house we went to opened their doors, listened and then invited us back. We met so many awesome people and were able to get so many return appointments! This week will be busy, and that's exactly what we love :)

Another miracle happened this week. The sisters have been working with this less active woman and her daughter for years, and they love having the sisters over, but are never interested in coming to church. But this week we invited them to come to the Woman's Broadcast and they came! And then afterwards, this sister turns to me and says "What time is church again?" So I told her and she came to church the next day! Yay! She even promised to come to at least one session of conference with her daughter next week. *happy dance*

Sister Stout and I really work well together. She loves calling people and hates tracting, while I don't really like calling people but love tracting, so we push each other and become better teachers. Sister Stout is from Wyoming and has been out 10 months. I'm her first daughter! She knows a ton  about the gospel and the doctrine that I don't so I'm learning a lot from her. She's pretty quiet most of the time, but once she starts teaching, she knows what they need to hear and can be really powerful. Its cool. 

I love you all! God bless!
Sister Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment