Called to Serve

I'm Alicia Garver, and I'm a Mormon. I'm currently serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission. I love what I'm doing, and I'm excited to be sharing His message and His love with the people in Georgia.

Come for a ride with me as I share my experiences...by bicycle and walking shoes!

Monday, September 22, 2014

9/22/14 Where Are You From? Uhhh....

Sorry I didn't write last week! We flew in on what was my P-Day at the MTC and missed the one out here. 
Georgia is fantastic! Its warm and sunny and everyone is so nice! We actually still tract a ton out here, because people are so friendly and listen. We plan on tracting at least 2 hours every day. And I love it. The only problem with tracting is the mosquitoes. At the moment I have around 37 bites, mostly on my legs :(
My first day was exhausting. It was like the first day at the MTC all over again. I was tired, didn't know what I was doing, and didn't know what was going to happen next. But it was so cool at the same time.

We got off the plane, met  President Bennion and his wife, who handed us a Book of Mormon and pushed us on a train called the Marta. We had about a half hour to talk to people and teach them about the gospel. By ourselves. No companions.

But it was awesome! I was surprised to find I wasn't really scared at all. It was fun! I talked to two people (the first man was a real talker) and the second woman was really interested and said she wanted to learn more, so I got her in contact with the missionaries in that zone. So cool. We then got off the train and drove to President Bennion's house where we had food waiting for us. After eating, I think half of us dozed through the meeting where we got our assignments and companions. I'm now serving in Kennesaw, Georgia, with Sister Stout.

I love it here! We don't have as many investigators as I'd like, but we're going to work hard and make the Lord's church grow! We've already ran into some potentials this past week and we hope to get in contact with them again this week. I have high hopes. Sister Stout and I are going to make Kennesaw bloom!
As for the actual work out here, I have been blessed to be serving a car mission. It can be pretty hot and humid down here. Everything is still green and wet, but the heat can get pretty bad in the middle of the day. And still Sister Stout and I go running every other morning.  :P  I love air conditioning! I do have a bike though, so if we're ever short on miles, we will have to use them.

I went to my ward for the first time yesterday. We taught two classes! I'm working on everyone's names, but I think I'm getting along alright. And yes, the hardest question is "where are you from?" Um....America? I've been telling most people that I'm from New Jersey. Sort of. And then if they ask further, well its a long story. It began in 1994, in the small state of Utah...

I love you all!
Sister Garver 

2 comments:

  1. She sounds so happy and energetic - I love it! :) I'm so glad you are doing a blog - I'm excited to keep up with all of her experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun and uplifting letter! Thank you so much for sharing. Keep up the good work, Sister Garver. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete