Called to Serve

I'm Alicia Garver, and I'm a Mormon. I'm currently serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission. I love what I'm doing, and I'm excited to be sharing His message and His love with the people in Georgia.

Come for a ride with me as I share my experiences...by bicycle and walking shoes!

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

8/10/15 Miracle!!

It's been going pretty well in our area as well for the most part. We are seeing people start to progress, both investigators and less actives. One of our less actives has taken that last step, and she was able to receive her temple recommend yesterday!!!! After at least 5 years, she will be able to go back to the temple this week :D  We hope, and are pushing, her husband to follow her example. Another of our investigators that I've been working with for 6 months, finally talked to her husband and they are both coming to church this week! Two of our investigators are golden and ready to be baptized, but are going to college this week, but we'll pass off their info and see they are taken in by their new missionaries. We are working on finding. Hopefully with school back in, more people will be home...

I tried a fig for the first time yesterday! Apparently there are figs trees all over the place here, and I had never noticed! They are a lot smaller than I thought, but they are really good! Sister Blair described it perfectly. It tastes like a mix between a peach and a banana. Sorta. But kinda. 

You know who are the hardest people to teach? Less actives that think they are active. Seriously. They still believe in everything, and have a testimony, but they don't act. They may still believe and pray, and some even still read the Book of Mormon on a regular basis, but they don't come to church!! That is where the sacrament is, where fellowship and support is, where learning and inspiration is strong. It is a COMMANDMENT. And then other things start to slip: what they watch and read, their language, FHE, how they dress, scripture reading, regular prayers, etc. Yes, I know it's your one day off from work, your kids have sports all day, you want to spend time with your family, someone insulted you, a times people are hypocritical, and it is really early in the morning, but when the Lord commands, DO IT. You can't pick and chose commandments. Sorry, I'll get off my high horse there, but it bothers me. I know so many blessings come from keeping the Sabbath Day holy and going to church, even when it's really really hard.

Miracle!! So 6 months or so ago, Sister Kang and I were tracting and found this sweet little Russian family. They wanted to learn English and invited us back. We were thrilled and came back, only to find they JUST wanted English, no gospel at all. Period. We looked on our map and found they were out of our area anyway (oops) and so we dropped them. The months later, we get a phone call from someone with a thick accent asking for us to come teach, but when they gave us their address it was in another area so we passed her off (by this point, I had completely forgotten about them). Last week, on exchanges, I found out the Russian family I had found and so easily dropped six months ago, was the lady who had called and asked to be taught, and now she was being taught, progressing, wanted to be baptized, and had just moved into my area! It completely blew my mind. And it really built my testimony that the people we contact and testify to are really being prepared by the Lord, no matter how nonreceptive they may seem at the time. We plant seeds without even realizing it. Without them realizing it. I was just blessed enough to be able to see this little miracle and watch the Lord work in His own time.


Love ya'll! 
Sister Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment