Called to Serve

I'm Alicia Garver, and I'm a Mormon. I'm currently serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission. I love what I'm doing, and I'm excited to be sharing His message and His love with the people in Georgia.

Come for a ride with me as I share my experiences...by bicycle and walking shoes!

Monday, August 10, 2020

2/1/16 I Wouldn't Trade it for the World

 This past week has been BEAUTIFUL! And the coming week promises on

being so as well. Sunny, clear skies, and temperatures ranging from
the 50's to the 70's. I'm wearing short sleeves :) Welcome to January
and February in Georgia. The weather jumps from freezing and windy and
biting one week to stunning and warm the next. People are starting to
get sick because their bodies don't know how to handle the massive
changes. Even the plants are confused. I saw a tree staring to bud
today. Poor thing is going to get frostbite in two weeks.

Everything is ready for transfers on Wednesday. I'm almost all packed
and Sister Tanner got called to train and be the only STL in the whole
zone. Single STL and training? That poor greenie is going to have to
go on exchanges more than once a week and have her first exchange two
days after she gets here, so Sister Tanner can go to MLC. Poor dear.
But it'll be good. She'll grow really fast.

Couple of awesome miracles this week. We had prepared for the day and
were just finishing up companion study when, one after another, our
potential investigators call and cancel their appointments. Yay. But
then, literally 30 seconds after they hung up, a member called and
asked us if we wanted a milkshake. Um, what? They were getting
milkshakes and then thought of us and gave us a call. No one ever does
that. So we ended up going over to their house and eating a milkshake
and doing service cleaning their house for those two hours we just had
had open up. It was so cool, because they have been in a hard
situation and she's been homebound with a tiny daughter born 2 months
early, and we've been trying to get in to help out for several weeks.

Then the other night, we had stopped by a less-active member that was always
home, and that night they weren't. We started knocking a few doors
around them and found Camille! She opened the door barely a crack and
told told us to come back later, that it was too late. But we kept
talking and asking questions and it was cool to see that door slowly
open wider and wider, until it was wide open and we were laughing and
talking and she was telling us about her job, and her kids, and her
worries about them, and her culture, and her dog. She started out
telling us she had heard about Mormons and none of it was positive,
but by the end we had a return appointment and she wanted to find out
for herself what was true and not just go off of rumors, and that she
was actually looking for a church to start going to.

I'm going to miss all of this.

I love you all and thank you for all of your prayers and support while
I've been out here in Georgia serving and learning and working in the
Master's vineyard. It has been the best experience of my life. I
wouldn't trade it for the world.

I love you all so much!
Sister Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment